Sunday, June 19, 2005

Awake early as usual although I nearly had a fit when I looked at the clock on my side of the bed which showed 10.50. Then looked over to the radio alarm and found it was only 6.40ish. When the batteries on my clock run down, the hands stick.

There's not usually much I can do till my gom gets up and due to his fatigue he usually sleeps for about 10-11 hours.

Most days I get up between 8 and 8.30 and make us some cold drinks to take back to bed. I also start the coffee brewing.

I may try to get showered if I'm up early enough, but mainly I have my shower after my gom's got up 'cause he wouldn't be able to answer the phone while he's still in bed but once he's up he's usually in a room with a phone extension.

With the hot summer days finally arrived he's becoming a real worry. It makes him physically weaker and this impacts on his psychological state. He has quite a few jobs to do for the voluntary organisations that we work with BUT he can't motivate himself enough to do them and I end up having to 'encourage' him which stresses us both out.

Last year at this time we managed to get away on a cruise, but we won't have that relief this year.

My hayfever's really bad this year. I've had it all my life so I don't know what it's like to go through summer without itchy eyes, but the last couple of years I've not been able to get any relief (except when we went on the cruise)

Our usual weekly routine would be to shop Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, then my gom sees a personal trainer at a gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays.. Regular exercise normally helps to maintain what little mobility he has left, but, because it's not available on the nhs we have to pay for private sessions. We also have someone come to the flat for an hour on saturdays.

My Gom doesn't like going out on Saturdays because he doesn't like the crowds, I just pop out to get the weekend papers and browse some of the shops. Then sundays we both go out to get the papers and weather permiting we go for a ride to the local park or somewhere for morning coffee. David has a motorised attachment for his wheelchiar and I have a bicycle.

Today however, it was TOO HOT, so I just walked into town to get the papers. I just have to make sure my gom eats and drinks enough!

No comments: